Crime Today News | Latest Crime Reports

EC gets 1.9 lakh requests to delete names from Bihar draft voter list, less than 30,000 for addition

EC gets 19 lakh requests to delete names from Bihar


The Election Commission on Saturday said it had received 1.97 lakh objections seeking deletion of names and 29,872 applications for inclusion under the ongoing special intensive revision of electoral rolls in Bihar.

The deadline to file additional documents and claims and objections to the draft rolls is Monday.

The draft voter list published on August 1 showed that 65.6 lakh names had been removed. Of these, 22 lakh were due to deaths, 36 lakh were of people who had permanently shifted or were untraceable and seven lakh were duplicate entries.

On Saturday, the poll panel said that 13.3 lakh first-time voters have applied for registration since August 1, which could take the final electoral list beyond the 7.24 crore names in the draft, the Hindustan Times reported.

According to the Election Commission, 99.11% of electors have so far submitted documents for verification.

Separately, booth-level agents of political parties have filed 25 claims regarding inclusion and 103 regarding exclusion.

The final list will be published on September 30.

The revision of the electoral rolls in Bihar was announced by the Election Commission on June 24, ahead of the Assembly elections in Bihar scheduled to be held in October-November.

As part of the exercise, persons whose names were not on the 2003 voter list needed to submit proof of eligibility to vote.

Voters born before July 1, 1987, were required to show proof of their date and place of birth, while those born between July 1, 1987, and December 2, 2004, had to also submit documents establishing the date and place of birth of one of their parents.

Those born after December 2, 2004, needed proof of date of birth for themselves and both parents.

The draft voter list comprises electors who submitted their enumeration forms to the poll panel between June 24 and July 26.

On August 22, the Supreme Court said that voters excluded from Bihar’s draft electoral rolls could apply online for inclusion by submitting their Aadhaar cards or any of the 11 documents recognised by the Election Commission.

On August 14, the court had directed the Election Commission to publish a district-wise list of the names deleted from the draft roll. It also directed the poll panel to specify in public notices that persons excluded from the draft list released on August 1 can furnish their Aadhaar cards at the time of submitting their claims for inclusion in the final list.

The document was not among the poll body’s 11 accepted proofs of identity. Several petitioners had objected to the exclusion of Aadhaar, the most widely held ID, from the list of permissible documents, calling it “absurd”.

On August 19, the Election Commission said that those aggrieved at being left out of the draft voters’ list in Bihar after the revision exercise can file claims using their Aadhaar cards.


This article first appeared on Scroll.in

📰 Crime Today News is proudly sponsored by DRYFRUIT & CO – A Brand by eFabby Global LLC

Design & Developed by Yes Mom Hosting

Crime Today News

Crime Today News brings you breaking stories, deep investigations, and critical insights into crime, justice, and society. Our team is committed to factual reporting and fearless journalism that matters.

Related Posts